By introducing students to the concepts of exhibit design, students will use Remembering Lincoln artifacts to create their own online exhibit.
Note: While this lesson focuses on using the Remembering Lincoln artifacts, it could be easily adapted to use have students create their own exhibits using artifacts from Google Arts and Culture (https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/u/0/partner/fords-theatre
) or Smithsonian Learning Lab (https://learninglab.si.edu/
- How do curators create a museum exhibit?
- How elements make up a museum exhibit?
- How do curators tell a story through artifacts and images?
- Identify the elements of a museum exhibit
- Create an online exhibit that tells a story and includes a takeaway message for the audience.
- Sort primary and secondary sources in order to identify which sources best help tell the story in the exhibition.
- Use images and text to create a cohesive tone for the exhibit.
Lesson Activity One: Introduction to Online Exhibits
- Students review how exhibits are created.
Lesson Activity Two: Exhibit Planning
- Using an Exhibition Planning Guide, students plan their own exhibit.
Lesson Activity Three: Exhibit Production
- Students create their own exhibit using Remembering Lincoln artifacts.
Read More »